Monday, April 30, 2012

What's not possible?


The other day, after the visit to the lesser economically privileged community, I was overwhelmed, saddened and pained. As I walked-in to the community, I could not imagine people living in pathetic living conditions. It was dirty and stinky, there were people living in cramped spaces, open drains everywhere and women washing were clothes or bathing children at their doorsteps. I did not understand who was to be blamed! Is it the government? Or the people living there who resigned to fate or gave up on the government?  But the silver lining is, there are government schools which most children in this community attend and also use the school premises for playing cricket.  Secondly, I found the community in perfect harmony. People are warm and helpful, there are Temples, Mosque, Gurudwara located in stone throw away distance from each other.  A little later I left the community with the "hope" of changing the living conditions.
                Later in the evening, the impressive Teach For India (TFI) - 2012 opening ceremony or spectacular performance by Akanksha kids failed to lift my spirits. The thoughts of “life in lesser privileged community” kept bothering me. I wondered if it’s quality education that will free them from clutches of poverty or if I need to consider running for elections?
                 Yesterday, I was at peace with myself. My questions were answered after the TFI 2012 cohorts were introduced to amazing bunch of  kids from Akanksha. These students, most of them in their teens or early twenties, belonged to lesser privileged communities, went through lots of struggles, yet managed to attend Akanksha school. That’s not the end of the story. These kids are highly confident, exceptional in academics, spoke flawless English, had an opinion about everything, knew why there are doing what they are doing, studying in one of the best colleges in Mumbai and worked part-time.   It made me think that I am a under achiever, I could have done much better at academics & other stuff !  Nevertheless, I got my answers. I understood how quality education can transform someone’s life.  More than ever, I am much convinced and proud of my decision to join Teach For India (TFI). Two years from now, it will make me feel proud when all the 40 students in my classroom do exceptional in academics, speak flawless English, have a opinion on everything and act independent. Bingo! Way better than students from more economically privileged communities.
    Any lingering doubts if my ‘big goal’ can be really made possible, was cleared in the yellow-hat activity. Imagine a group of 16 people, creating a beautiful design out of trash! Wait a second , the group ought not to be using their hands!! Sounds impossible,isn't? You got it wrong! We made it possible!! and will continue to make things seem impossible, possible ;- ) 

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!... I am just thinking what an astonishing effect you will create if you contest in election:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Joseph,
    It coming from the best writers I know, makes me feel flattered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ramya,
    How you doing? Yes,will be awesome!! The day isn't too far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrads dude... India need people like you.. you are excellent.. keep doing the same..

    -Kalyan

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to see fiery hope and willpower winning over plight of nation.. Good going...hope we get to know our checklist..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man !! One more feather in your cap :-) Ur writings leave me in awe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Kalyan
    Thanks for that! you too keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Sreeram,
    Yeah,thanks..I am working on the checklist.will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @RK
    Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow rahul, u do have supporters ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Sreekant

    Yes! I count you one among my supporters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice article Rahul.. Our country needs people who think like you..keep up the good work! After the RTE act was upheld by the Supreme Court, many critics argued that "children from underprivileged families are likely to remain low performing since they lack academic support and hence they may suffer by comparison"!! They should meet the kids of Akansha school to prove them wrong!
    Every child has the right to dream and the potential to achieve them! It's our duty to facilitate and motivate them.
    N yea, if you ever decide to stand for elections, you have my vote ;)

    ReplyDelete